Friday, September 01, 2006

School will be the death of me

I know it's been a month since I posted anything on here and I KNOW that everyone and there dog reads it, so I'll just update you on a couple of things.

I recently started school at the University of Utah and Have declared Vocal Performance as my major. Exciting I know. It was a toss up between Music education or that. I figured I would just shoot for the Stars with Vocal Performance. School has been a rough week and a half. Let me tell you how ridiculous my schedule is:

First of all I only have about 12.5 credits for this semester... you ready for this. I have SEVEN CLASSES!!! I am so freaking annoyed. Of the required classes that I am taking, three of them are 1 credit only and one is .5!!! And these are hour classes three times a week! Ugh! Well, after this first week, I will just have to adjust to this time consuming schedule. I also have a private voice lesson that is worth 3 credits but is only one hour a week! I really think this is a little bass akwards.

On another note, I auditioned and made it into the University Singers! I am so happy to be in this group of fine singers. However, let me tell you, it's TOUGH! I've NEVER been in a choir that requires so MUCH out of you during rehersal. Our Director, Dr. Brady Allred, is VERY particular about ANY sound we make. Some of the things are: Controlling and matching our vibrato with the rest of the choiror using none at all, How we say each and ev-er-y sy-la-ble of the wordsand what vowel shape they make, When to breath and especially when NOT to breath, Exactly how long we hold each note and when to close to the end of the word, specific notes that we are to crescendo or diminuendo into or out of, and how the phrase of the music should be sung and where the music or words lead to. He MAKES us have a pencil in our hands at all times and whenever he tells us something important, he will yell, "I don't see any pencils moving!" He's a very nice guy too. He only gives us a hard time in class because he wants us to work hard and he expects alot out of us.

Anyway, to make this whole this complete, I am sick with who knows what. I've gone from throwing up whatever I to a fever to a major league sore throat. I think I might have strep. I dunno. But This has all happened in the last three or four days. I started to throw up Tuesday and am sitting here, AT WORK mind you, with a sore throat and a scorching fever. I had the last two days off because I was sick but now there is no one else to work for me so I had to come in and stay here until 7:00. I even missed a WHOLE bunch of school these last few days. I can't sing while I'm sick! I tried today but I couldn't do it. At least I got the notes from the songs and phrases we practiced.

3 comments:

Rach said...

You gotta love the stupid music program garbage. I never had more than 12 credits, but my schedule was packed. I totally understand your grief.
Sorry you are feeling rotten! Hopefully it's not too serious . . .

UTShaun said...

Hey congratulations on making the choir Doug! That sucks about being sick though.

Jim said...

Wow, that's a long way from Miller. Congrats on getting into the Singers, you'll have a lot of fun with that!